ABOUT PYB //
PackYourBags is a ministry of Trinity Bible College specifically designed for high school graduates willing to dedicate one year to seek God, serve others, and have fun. It is especially useful for students that may not have clear direction for the next step in their lives. PYB positions students to hear God’s voice through seeking, learning, and serving. Students participate in classes on life skills, identity in Christ, Biblical foundations, and ministry training.
They travel around the USA and the globe ministering to people from diverse walks of life, loving on children, and serving in practical ways. All the while, going on exciting adventure outings, such as high ropes courses, hiking, kayaking, going on an African safari, camping in the Israeli desert, and seeing breathtaking views of God's creation. Students will obtain 24 college credits through successful completion of the program plus an experience that will last a lifetime!
OUR VISION //
Upon seeing the excess number of years that young people took to decide upon a major and to finally graduate, Trinity's President Dr. Paul Alexander envisioned this program to fulfill the need to cut the time it took to make a decision. We desire to see young adults take a year off of their studies and jobs to seek God's will for their lives. PYB is designed to help students graduate and be successful in any college or career. Through training and missions, students will find God and their true identity in Him. We sense the calling of students to long- and short-term ministry and we desire to provide opportunities for young adults to grow towards their future plans in a safe, yet challenging environment. Students will excel in life by having an early experience that will shape their worldview and direct their future decisions for the Kingdom.
CORE VALUES //
- The Kingdom of God — God’s Kingdom culture infiltrating the nations of this world
- Spiritual Mentoring — Raising up the next generation through relationship
- Real Relationships — Entering into relationships where we can be real, vulnerable, and encourage one another to grow closer to God and walk out our identity and destiny in Christ
- Personal Discipline — developing self-control in exercise, diet, and spiritual walk
- Career Mentoring — Identifying student’s gifts and where they can be best applied
- Hands-On Ministry Training — learning to evangelize and effectively minister to others
- Ministering Spiritual Gifts — discovering spiritual gifts and how to move in them
- Marketplace Ministry — Raising up a people of character and honor to effectively infiltrate the marketplace (business, education, construction, etc.) with God’s Kingdom
EDUCATION & TRAINING //
Students will be enrolled in online courses and on-campus courses. They may obtain 24 credits upon successful completion of this program. Group sessions throughout the week will highlight and discuss course material, as well as provide opportunities to apply learning. The daily on-campus courses follow an interactive style of learning through direct instruction, videos, sharing, and discussion. These courses cover a range of topics, such as Old Testament and New Testament history and literature, world missions, evangelism, hearing God’s voice, developing an intimate relationship with God, life skills, Biblical foundations, personal finances, history and culture of South Africa, and more. PYB contains four focuses:
DAILY LIFE //
- Time with God
- Living in community with other PYB students
- Class and training sessions by PYB directors, TBC professors, and guest speakers
- Online Bible Courses
- Small Groups
- Serving on campus, in the community, in the local church, and around the world
In PackYourBags, students go on at least four trips:
Native American Reservation, USA
- Immerse yourself into a different world within your own country! PYB will visit a Native American Reservation within our tri-state area for 5-10 days. On this trip, we partner and minister with organizations that have established outreaches in these communities and help with their day to day projects. Students are exposed to the Spirit of God among these beautiful people groups. We have the opportunity to see how compassion ministry can impact people for the Kingdom. Focusing on unity and servanthood to break down the cross-cultural barriers, we rely on the power of God to restore relationships.
- This years dates: September 25 - October 2
Inner City, USA
- In the United States, some of the greatest need can be found in the inner cities. Here you can find vast secularism, diverse religions, and rampant drug and sex trafficking. In contrast, you will also find beautiful skyscrapers, the hustle and bustle of city life, and urban cutting edge culture. Among all this there are hundreds of ministries standing strong and obedient to God's Word and mission. PYB will come alongside these ministries and help in whatever way possible on this 7-10 day trip. This may include door-to-door evangelism, street evangelism, children's ministry, feeding programs, ministry to Muslims, and more.
- This years dates: November 4-13
- The longest of the trips, PYB spends six weeks in South Africa. With Africa School of Missions (ASM) as our base, we will minister in the surrounding communities and villages of Mpumalanga. Students see poverty firsthand and learn of South Africa's troubled history, rich culture, and diverse people. South Africa holds the highest number of HIV/AIDS victims in the world. This fact brings great need. Students have the chance to work in orphanages, visit homes up and down the mountainside, participate in ASM classes, minister in churches, do construction for families in need, serve in practical ways with African ministries, and connect with the local people. Students will never be the same after living in a new country and witnessing the powerful hand of God move.
- Be forever changed when you walk where Jesus walked. This 10 day trip allows students to experience the Bible's landscape with their own eyes. Students stay in hostels as we travel to Jerusalem, the Galilee Region, Capernaum, and other biblical cities. There we will have the opportunity to visit important Biblical sites like the Jordan River, the Mount of Beatitudes, the Temple Mount, Garden of Gethsemane, and the Western Wall. One night is spent living bedouin-style in the Judean desert. Feel the dry desert air as you go for a camel ride. Imagine the Bible stories happening before your eyes. After this trip, the Bible will never be the same.
- Throughout each trip, we go different adventure outings. In the reservation, we see the local sites, basque in the Midwestern plains, and admire God's beauty. In the inner city, we visit the landmarks and city centers. In Africa, we go on a safari in the Kruger National Park, hike to God's Window, go swimming, climbing mountain sides, and visit breathtaking waterfalls and the world's largest baobab tree. Israel is an adventure in itself! In addition to seeing Biblical sites, we also camp Bedouin-style, ride camels in the Judean desert, get baptized and go rafting in the Jordan river, and swim in the Dead Sea. Adventure is a central component of PYB, but our center focus is bringing the hope of Christ to those in need.